Whatever happened to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to...

I was reminiscing this afternoon about cars I've owned and I got to thinking... I wonder if anyone knows the whereabouts of my old 1961 Austin Super. It was a faded Almond Green with 3 inch rust rainbows above the wheelwells. When I sold it it had a red driver's door. The interior, green/gray, was out of the car. The gentleman who purchased it towed it away in a Ranger pick up with a John Cooper Works sticker in the back window. The car had some history in the club. That was 12 years ago...I wonder what happened to it.
    Tom
    My Mini is plastic.

Tom, Contacting old flames can be risky. Be careful. Don

Comment

Yea Don, but fanning those flames can be much worse!
      Tom
      My Mini is plastic.

Comment

If it was a genuine Super it would be worth tracking down. Especially, if it still had the right interior and grille. Very rare Mini. I've only ever seen one other in the US.
        The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

The numbers indicated it was a Super. It had what I cosidered the correct telltale bits: Two tone interior (green and gray), off white headliner, black covered dash rails, stainless front window trim. It was, however missing the grill and original engine. At the time of purchase I thought I'd stumbled on another Cooper. However, the floor had the hole for the magic wand shifter and it had single leading shoe brakes. A check of the numbers identified it as a Super.
          The car had been modified to accept twin tanks, although the right tank was missing, all of the plumbing and bracketry was there. It had been fitted with a Modadash filled with ancillary gauges and switches. The headliner and seats were covered with an awful brown floral print fabric. I quickly removed the fabric to find the worn original interior. I also assume it had some hefty bonded arch extensions, judging by the rust arch above the wheel wells.
          I bought it when it was listed as possibly being for sale in the club mag. I remember Joe Stone telling me that the emgine in the car was out of his first Mini.
          I sent the new owner off with the car in bits, sort of, a set of Cooper 998 brakes, and a bunch of redundant parts.
          Come out, come out wherever you are!
          Tom
          My Mini is plastic.

Comment

Working...
          X