Mt. Rainier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt. Rainier

After Saturday was spent at the church fair/Ballard watering hole/ and fiddling with a Mini till midnight Marian SUGGESTED that we go for a drive on Sunday. Okey Dokey. We left at the crack of 10:30 for the once every 10 year tour of the mountain.
    I-5, 520 ,405 , left at Renton. Not much traffic but my how Maple Valley has changed. Enumclaw and then 410, not bad for cruising. At the junction with Hwy123 the construction signs appeared. What could have been a disaster turned into that dream road! No traffic, the asphalt was so new it wasn't striped yet. Smoooooth and yet twisty. We then hit the parts of 123 that hadn't been redone yet, a bit lumpy.
    Paradise Lodge will be closing this week so the service was a bit dodgy (paper napkins????), food was mediocre but plentifull. Hmmmm, bring a picnic next time.
    A lot more traffic on the South, Hwy 706, side of the hill. Slower is OK because the views are spectacular. Picked up Hwy 7, the old standby to Portland, northbound this time. I couldn't resist the 161 turnoff to Eatonville and enjoyed the road till it straighted out and turned into the strip mall and traffic light hell of Puyallup's South Hill. Oh! There's 167, let's go home!
    Don

Sounds like a great day, Don. You couldn't have asked for better weather.

Here's a way to make the drive home even more enjoyable: Avoid that South Hill madness by taking a left off Meridian onto the Kapowsin Highway, just north of NW Trek and Clear Lake. That'll drop you down into the valley straight through the tiny burg of Kapowsin and through the even tinier Electron. Then you'll parallel the Puyallup River all the way through Orting to Sumner (and Hwy 167). Orting's been clogged up with ticky-tacky suburban housing developments over the past several years (lahar-fodder is what they are), but that way is still vastly preferable to Puyallup's South Hell (and I think I spelled it correctly).

Dan
    Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Thanks Dan, I saw the sign for Kapowsin. I'll take it next time. Don

Is KAPOWsin where Batman has a church?

Comment

Next time you drive right pass my house feel free to stop by. What a great day for a drive.
        "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
        ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
        '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
        '60 Morris Van - Marvan
        '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

we don't count adam west as a "real" batman!!
          Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

You know James, Marian and I actually discussed stopping by. I didn't have your number and it was about then that I realised that I didn't remember to bring my #@^^%$*! phone. Next time. Don

Comment

KAPOWsin.
              That would be a low blow.
              The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Thread is useless without pics
                It can make commuting the best part of the day if you do it right. -mascher
                sigpic

Comment

Bull, You forgot to preface that with "in my opinion". Don

Comment

rodney is the web god. he doesn't have opinions, just statements as to our status in his reality.
                    Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Working...
                    X