Portland ABFM, Sept 1-3, who's going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland ABFM, Sept 1-3, who's going?

Chime in! I might be going and am curious who's going and when.
    Best,

MSH
    All Together Now..... Everybody.......

I'll be there.

Dan
    Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

And tell us how it was out there! Who was there from SAMOA and who won what? Just "people's choice" or did the Oregon club have Mini awards based on those who know Minis as they've done so well in the past few years?
      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

The weather was hot and smoky from nearby wildfires. Luckily the minis were positioned under the only shade trees on the show field, so with a nice breeze, it was quite pleasant. 42 minis, give or take. Five SAMOA cars, mine, Dan Berglund, Chris Miller, Jeff Van Hurston and Steve Ludwig. I got second in class, Dan third in class. Chris Miller's woody was clearly the best candidate for the preservation award, but ignored by the four judges, two of which were rumored to be beauty school students. The quality of racing, in terms of numbers and variety of cars, continues to decline. It seems the days of catching a glimpse of a Formula I car from the 70's, a McLaren M6 or a 1934 open wheel Alfa Romeo race car have passed. Shame
        Last edited by Jerry; 09-06-2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Jeff took Second Place in the Variant Class.

While I share some of Jerry's concerns about the racing, there are still enough great cars to make the vintage event exciting. For instance, a beautiful Lenham Sprite showed up this year in the Small Bore group. I'd never seen the car before and was mightily impressed.

While they didn't bring Minis, Mark Hurston, Merv Hanna, and Priscilla and Paul Woods were there to enjoy the show and the racing. And Alan Smith provided a little racing action of his own in the slot car booth.

Dan
          Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Working...
          X