Mini hot tub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini hot tub

I've been a$$ over elbows installing a small (Mini) soaking tub over this wonderfull holiday weekend. The power requirements call for two 120V, 20A, GFCI circuits. No problem. I need to find a home for the #8 equipment grounding conductor tied to the frame of the pump and heater.
    My inclination is to bond that puppy to the 3/4" cold water pipe that I KNOW is tied to my service panel ground and to a pair of ground rods and to the incoming water supply copper pipe.
    Do I need to bring that equipment grounding conductor from the tub all the way back to my service panel for some reason?
    Working on Minis is way more fun.
    Don

that should work. i have a lot of stuff grounded to my water lines and ground rods the same way.
    Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Hey Don,
      I agree with Dave, but with a caveot ( sp? ). I think the latest codes differentiate between the way you've described ( grounding early at a known ground ) and the way you've mentioned of home running to the panel and it's ground rod. It may also have a difference if you are using GFCI RECEPTICLES or a GFCI Breaker.
      But, by now, you are probably finished with the project and soaking in it!
      Best,
      MSH
      All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

My 20 year-old NEC says specifically that they don't require the ground to be run to the service panel. I take this to mean that you can but don't have to. So I would think a good cold water pipe ground should work.

Cheers,

Kelley
        If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll be using GFCI breakers for a cleaner installation and for protection of the entire circuit. Don

Comment

Working...
          X