Micro-what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro-what?

Carol Lane, Gene's sister, has donated his Microfiche reader to SAMOA along with his collection of fiches! These contain parts catalogs for Minis as well as some lesser British vehicles.The films range from the late seventies to the mid eighties. While extremely cool and informative I have no desire to store yet another glowing screen.

Is there a SAMOA book library that this collection can join?
    Are there skills within SAMOA to convert the film to digital form?
    How can we share this resource with the other clubs?
    What does the lever sticking out of the left front of the reader do? I can't get it to move.

Marques included:
    Austin 1100&1300
    other Austin (A40 etc)
    Big Healy
    Jaguar
    Triumph
    MG
    Rover
    Landrover
    Volvo
    Saab

Last and certainly not least is a vast MOPAR catalog!

HELP!

I thought the lever on the lower left was to magnify the image on the screen.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlemini/collections/

Comment

The lever on the one I have (for use with my Mini and AD0 fiches) is used to focus. The one in the photo looks more complex. Nimbits is probably correct.
      Stick a fiche in and give it a go!
      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Oh, I've been fiching!

There are two lenses in this reader and my impression is that the lever will change between them. Short of trying a three foot length of pipe on it I'd thought I'd ask. The round knob is the focus.

Don

Comment

If all else fails take the thing apart.

Sure enough, a little lube and the lens carrier is sliding with the lever but alas, the second lens is missing. More magnification would sure be helpfull with some of the diagrams. Oh well.

There are a few supersession fiches in the collection, as in "part number X is now
          part number 3". A lot of part numbers are superseded by the dreaded "NLA". There are also some Morris Minor fiches.

Don

Comment

Magnification is the same problem I have. It's as if the English material was made for machines with a different lens. Unlike the hydrolastic pump I got from Seattle BMC, the fiche reader is U.S. made and not x-BMC. I usually have to use a magnifying glass...but the effort is worth it.
            The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Micro fishy!

I have almost the exact same animal in my office. Mick gave it to me......thanks Mick.
              The two different level of magnification lenses get caught on the glass viewing table if you slide the platform around too far. Not a brilliant design.
              It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

Working...
              X