Classic mini race car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic mini race car

Anyone know the story of this little racer? I see "SAMOA" on the hood and figured someone would know. Wish I has the space for it, but there's no way I could convince the wife of it! haha

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/4856138707.html

this was Al
    Beebe s racecar. first I saw it was in 1991 at the Bellevue
    ABFm
    in the back of the photo is Al s "Fat mini !!!!

Comment

Fast Mini. Great way to get into racing.
      Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
      1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

Love this comment: "there is potential for a title".. (With a hope and a prayer?)

Comment

...and an engine and a good driver, and...
          Last edited by Cheleker; 01-28-2015, 07:59 PM.
          The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheleker View Post
            ...and an engine and a good driverr, and...
            ..a fat wallet?

Comment

SOVERN has moved the eligibility cutoff date to 1985.

Comment

I guess they had to but that's not so "vintage" anymore. Is this in line with other vintage race organizations?

Perhaps "potential for a title" was referring to a title document.
                Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
                1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

Club owned racecar could be cool! haha

Comment

Originally posted by Ted View Post
                    SOVERN has moved the eligibility cutoff date to 1985.
                    Long overdue... They should have been progressively moving the eligibility date up all along, keeping the gap around 35-40 years behind the cars actual build date.

As I see it, those 50's-60's era sports cars that got SOVREN, et al. going have now gotten to the point where many are waay too valuable as 'collectors items' to be raced by anyone but multi millionaires and there are only so many of them interested in racing. Changing the date might still allow someone who is an amateur racer but not $$ endowed to become involved. My 2 cents anyway..

Comment

Spoken like someone under 50, Andrew.

Kelley
                      If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Though it may have come off differently, I really was trying to look at it in big picture sort of way.

I say that as sadly, the values of 'regular' pre-war cars like Model A's and Model T's (but not the high-end marques) have declined over the past ten years as the people who grew up around and/or had them as a first car have begun to die off and interest from 'younger folk' isn't filling that void. Down the road one could extrapolate that to racing cars as well?

Re SOVREN, to me, it is all about people who appreciate the cars and their histories and want to keep them visible versus parked in a museum.. In that regard, it just makes sense to open that type of vintage racing up to cars that were campaigned in the 70's and early 80's to broaden the appeal to new generations? I mean who wouldn't want to see/hear a Porsche 935, 3.0 CSL or Rover SD1 on a track again?

Last edited by Andrew.Bertschi; 01-31-2015, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Bravo Andrew!
                          It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

Working...
                          X