X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegally Imported Mini Crushed

In case you've missed it...

http://www.minimania.com/msgThread/1.../1/Anyone_here
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Sometime, you just gotta shake your head in disbelief. Methinks that our nanny government needs to rethink its priorities.

Comment

Lying to a Customs official is a federal felony. Altering a VIN is, in most states, a felony. The reason the British government is involved in this is because stolen late model cars are being shipped out of Britain to the U.S. and by breaking these laws they are being imported and sold in U.S.

If you think it's ok to break the law for a late model Mini then it must be ok to do it for any other reason as well. Right? We can argue about whether EPA and safety rules are worthwhile or not but not about breaking the law.

Kelley
      If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

thats funny...they dont do that to the people that are here illegally, they just grant them citizenship instead!
        "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
        ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
        '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
        '60 Morris Van - Marvan
        '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Actually they don't grant them citizenship, they are allowed to stay in the country with no offical status or they are deported. Sometimes cars are deported but smashing up people and recycling them is generally frowned upon in modern society. Of course I could be wrong.

Kelley

Comment

illegally imp. mini s

we all know. that s an issue./
            What about people new in the classic Mini business and buy a mini
            and it is one of those re a stated, they are liable.?? but they don't know?
            what about other cars? is this just about Minis come on>>>

Comment

Ok ....so we can start referring to those cars as "undocumented transportation" and leave them alone then? That would be nice.
              "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
              ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
              '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
              '60 Morris Van - Marvan
              '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

So then a VTEC'd illegal Mini would be seen as 'transnational' undocumented transportation?
                (trying to inject a bit o' humor into a sticky subject)

Comment

I'm with Jerry.
                  We have terrorist (ETC) issues that need attention, never mind a clown car here and there.
                  The little cars bring smiles and joy to all kinds of Americans.
                  It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

I'm with Jerry too. Peter also brings up a good point that there have been a boatload of buyers who were led to believe they were purchasing a vintage (enough to have been legally imported) Mini. When the fault or most of it rests on the importer/seller. What I bought was represented as a 1971 shell with a late engine swap, sounded plausable as its done with vintage vehicles all the time. For a newbie, how do you know it's not vintage, the made the same basic body style from 1959 to 2000 that's a lot of years to figure out what's what for a newbie.

Other than the Mk I and Mk II external hinge cars there can be a whole lot of backdating done to really confuse the issue. The same seller that I purchased from sold seven or eight (that I now know of) backdated really late models which he had fitted Mk I lights to, tens all around most were carbed though at least two that I know of were injected spi and mpi. All were fitted with fake external hinges, with the doors closed they looked like legit external hinges. The reason I am aware of those cars is a person contacted me off the MM Board, he was going to sell because his was "too nice to drive". They were too, they looked like high end street rods, the seller had done a really good job of refitting the cars, unfortunately they were too new and the seller didn't disclose that fact to any of the buyers. He wasn't doing anything to educate his buyers to the fact that they were either. I even flew back to the east coast to look at the car, he never let on anything as to its true age. I learned within a month or two after receiving the car that it may have been a gray market vehicle. I also learned how lucky I was to actually receive said car, this seller had a habit of disappearing with regularity after receiving buyers money.

This is almost the same as what was and probably still is happening in the Muscle Car side of the Hobby. Where lesser models were being upgraded, vin tags altered to upgrade to a Muscle Car. For instance taking a '65 Pontiac Tempest adding the badging, hood and other correct items, adjusting or swapping a vin tag to represent a '65 GTO. As one person I worked with at Boeing found out after he bought one. He was in court with the seller for a long time and didn't get a dime of compensation for getting ripped off on a car that can only legitably sold as a '65 Tempest / GTO Clone.

There is always someone who pipes up with some thing like they should have known better. Obviously they didn't or they wouldn't have bought it would they? Point is that when we come across someone who got "Bit" with a car they bought that wasn't as represented, we need to be a little more understanding. After all many of these people are first pretty ashamed they got took and a lot of them are pretty ticked about it too. Then there are a lot of us that could care less and just try to enjoy the car in spite of things! Just my two pence...
                    Skip

Comment

The way the courts seems to view it is that owning a car with an altered VIN is the same as or very similar to owning stolen property. You forfeit the property and if there is no evidence that you broke the law in any other way there is no further punishment.

I certainly feel sorry for anyone who loses their Mini whether through an altered VIN or theft. It's important that we help people interested in Minis know what they are buying when we can.

Kelley

Comment

Kelley, that's exactly the point I was trying to make. I was also trying to convey the general view of some who have been bit with a Mini which wasn't as represented.

A friend of a friend has a Trabant which he thought he was purchasing a legal to import car. Turns out that through engine and a few other tell-tale numbers and manufacturing date stamps the car was only a couple years old when he bought it. It had been dusted up everywhere possible, the paint had been distressed... It looked old when he got it. This kind of trickery goes on throughout the collector car world, name the Mark.
                        Skip

Comment

Working...
                        X