Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hunt for Supers. Esp. One Local One.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hunt for Supers. Esp. One Local One.

Some of you may have seen the thread on Mini Mania's web site about my hunt for the very rare Mini Super models built between September 1961 and October 1962. So far, all but one lead has turned out to be either a Deluxe from the same period or a Super Deluxe made after the end of the Supers.

Oddly enough, the one good lead came from local Mini owner Tom Springer. From Tom:

"I sold it at least seventeen years ago. It was a car that was in the club for some years. In fact, I found it through an ad in the club newsletter. It wasn't advertised as a Super, but the VIN proved it to be so. When I went to look at it, there was a minor bidding war, as the other guy who went to look at it was convinced it was a Cooper or S with an 850 in it.
    I sold it to a guy who was enthusiastic about restoring it."

Other than remembering it was white over green, Tom hasn't come up with any more information, yet. Anyone remember the car or know its whereabouts?
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Was that a Super that Jet Motors had at Mini Meet?
    Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
    1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

Yes. It just looked like a very, old, tired Mini, but it was an original, unmessed with Super that was first sold in the U.S.
      One of the top two or three most interesting Minis at the Mini Meet.

Comment

Lord knows how I ended up with a speedometer for a Sunbeam Rapier but the local gentleman I'm sending it to had a '62 Super. White over black. I'll get the details from him.

Don

Comment

Excellent. Let me know the details (a chassis number is helpful), or a way to contact him.

Comment

Lots of leads, but nothing pinned down, yet!

Peter Larsen has found an article about one in a German magazine. He'll bring it to the meeting on Tuesday...and translate, I hope!

Comment

Working...
            X