Daily Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily Driver

I was talking to another club member this weekend and it was mentioned that Chuck and I might be the only ones left in the club that drive our minis every day. I wanted to disagree, but then I wondered if it might be true . 10 years ago I would have been able to name 7 or 8 more of the top of my head ..but today?
    Has mini ownership changed so much that we have lost the term "daily driver". Have we forgotten how great our little cars are at "being cars". Good gas mileage, easy to park, fun factor and looks too! How about a show of hands...who honestly uses there car as a daily driver. I know my mini is on the road 6 days a week year round unless its snowing....anyone say even 3 days a week. Anyone, anyone, 2 days a week ..anyone, anyone. Ok then, I'm officially challenging all SAMOA members...(if your mini is running and road worthy).... get your mini out of the garage at least one day a week. Rain or shine, cold or hot. An active mini is a happy mini
    "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
    ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
    '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
    '60 Morris Van - Marvan
    '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

FWIW - I know a good number of people in the club who have their car(s) on collector car insurance which tends to discourage it being used as a 'daily driver'.

Comment

Barbara and I both have had Minis as daily drivers for at least the last 15 years.

Kelley
      If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

I don't have much of a commute and the collector insurance is somewhat limiting BUT, Old Paint has been out and about, Friday through Sunday, every weekend this winter!

Don

Comment

I did drive mine to school every week. Now not sure anymore problem just keep showing up with it.
          1971 mini Clubman Turbo
          1991 Black German mini
          2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

I drove my mini 3-4 times a week last summer. It's in about a thousand pieces right now, it wont be on the road any time soon but once it is finished it will be back out on the road 3-4 times a week.

Comment

I sealed my car in a glass jar and buried it in the back yard.

Dan
              Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Hermitically sealed, I hope, Dan. A lot of others don't bother with that part and it isn't long before their cars are in my garage having new master and slave cylinders installed.
                The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Chuck, do you know how hard it is to find a hermit who does jars these days?

Kelley
                  If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

About as hard as it is to find anyone who remembers Carnac the Magnificent.

Comment

alternating driving my 2 minis each day, since my commute is short i do
                      detours, to get the engines warmed up enough, it does not matter
                      rain or snow, or even sunshine, the cars are good equipped with good tires/ wi ndow washer/ windshieldwiper/ seatbelt/ Rear defroster/ Sunvisior,
                      just to name a few.

peter

Comment

I've owned cars for 45 years. My first car was a Mini and for all but about 5 years of those 45 I've not owned anything but Minis.

Comment

So Chuck,

What did you have for those miserable five years?

Don

Comment

Don, He had a trike!
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlemini/collections/

Comment

Or one of these...

Comment

Working...
                              X