Project Turbo Clubman HID Projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Turbo Clubman HID Projector

I am starting an new project for the turbo Clubman. I have a hard time seeing at night with the stock headlights so i ordered a set of HIDs. I have a set in my Jeep without projectors and I like it. Not the right way to do it, I know but better than stock. I was looking around at retrofits and came across a few websites. One had parts and lots of info. I had no idea how big of a project it would be or how much the projectors were. Really it is not too hard and the price is not bad. So on Black Friday I ordered a set of projectors and shrouds. and bought a set of cheap headlights. I signed up on another forum that is all about retrofitting and will be working on this all week and weekend after my homework is done. My finals are next week.

I got a set of Morimoto Mini D2S projectors for theretrofitsorce.com and a st of shrouds. Not sure if the shrouds will be too large. Will find out soon. I have a set of DDM tuning HIDs coming, they will be here soon. Will have to get a set of bulbs to go with the projectors. Will get them soon. Will update as things go.

Here are the cheap lights from amazon.

What it will look like in car.

New projectors
    1971 mini Clubman Turbo
    1991 Black German mini
    2007 Jeep Wrangler

Excellent, and may I say, a Bright idea! Ha Ha. Seriously, though, nothing like having lights that are hard to "outrun". Keep us up to date on your progress.
    Best,
    MSH
    All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

Thanks lol. I have a really hard time seeing at nite. It might also help if the lights were LHD. I finally got the garage cleaned out so now I can get the mini in and work on it.
      1971 mini Clubman Turbo
      1991 Black German mini
      2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

It may help to run the lighting through a set of relays. I don't know if your new lights draw more current but even the stock lights can be a bit much for the headlight switch.

Moss Motors has a good and relatively low priced relay kit.

http://www.mossmotors.com

Kelley
        If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Kelley is exactly right.

Standard sealed beam headlights are typically rated at 55/60 watts (low & high beams) and if the wattage draw of those HID's is higher than that, installing a relay on the circuit is a smart idea. Otherwise, the extra power can (and often will) cause the headlight switch and/or related wiring to melt.

Comment

The previous owner relayed my lights (just not how I would have done it), and the light output is very nice. Now if only the high beams worked...

Comment

I bought HIDs through DDM Tuning and got a harness that is relayed with it. I am also using their 35 watt Ballasts. It is the same one that I have in my Jeep just with different bulbs. I started working on it last nite after cleaning up the garage. I will work on doing the projectors over Xmas break with my dads help. I plugged one side together and it is 120% better. So for now will run them in the stock lights and adjust them so I don't blind oncoming traffic. I will keep posting as things go.
              1971 mini Clubman Turbo
              1991 Black German mini
              2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

I have finally started working on the lights again. Its been awhile as the projectors don't really fit in the housing and was trying to figure out how to seal the rear of the housing up and hold the projector in place. I got that figured out now and just making progress with it last week. I am also using replacing the DDM Tuning ballasts and lights with Morimotos stage III and XB35 D2S lights from retrofitsource.com. They also make the projectors I am using so it will be a great fit and I will have better light output then the cheap chinese parts of the DDMs. I mocked up the projectors in the housing after I cut out the back to see how it looked. I am also adding angel eyes to the lights as a daytime running light, and for looks. They are also from retrofit source.com. They are 140mm XbAleds. Will post more as the project comes along.
                Last edited by shaggy591a; 09-14-2013, 08:41 AM.
                1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                1991 Black German mini
                2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

That will be sweet having so much clear white light! How bright are they supposed to be?
                  I long for a well lit road.........
                  Best,
                  MSH
                  All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

I will post some pics of the original lights and the projectors sometime soon.
                    1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                    1991 Black German mini
                    2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

They're definitely Darth Vader headlamps, Chris. The Force is strong in this one.

Dan
                      Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Got more done on the lights yesterday and today.
                        Here is a pic of the stock lights and of the projectors with the cheap ballasts and bulbs. The garage is not completely dark but works. A couple more weeks it should be done if school and other things don't get in the way.

1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                        1991 Black German mini
                        2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Finally finished the lights over the weekend. Took me long enough. Turned out pretty good if I say so.

1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                          1991 Black German mini
                          2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

With the front bumper off and the new headlights installed, the car looks like it is about to say, "How do you like my new lights?".
                            The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Lol. I never had a front bumper for the car, not sure if I will get one anytime soon. I did order the new small heater for it, just waiting for mini spares to send it. I will take some output pics and post them. I have only driven it at night once so far and I will say it is nice to finally be able to see at night. I will have to pull the lights apart again though too as the high beam is not working well in the right light and not at all in the left one.
                              1971 mini Clubman Turbo
                              1991 Black German mini
                              2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Working...
                              X