Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To repair or go shopping

Hi,
    Well, the insurance company has declared my 94 Mini a total loss. I can either settle for $12,000 cash or my car and $9,000. Its decision time I guess. To repair or not gets complicated. I do want my car back, but the $9,000 won't cover the cost of repair unless I can get a really good deal on parts. Has anyone bought large parts, like a subframe, from Mini Spares? I've purchased small parts from them and even with shipping have been way ahead of the usual parts suppliers in the US. Any ideas on where to get parts, even used parts?
    I've seen a couple of cars for sale in the $12,000 range that looked interesting, but not close enough to go look at. Any ideas or leads?
    Thanks,
    Jim

I have seen people sell parts on forums like subframes so you can also go that route to same money.
    1971 mini Clubman Turbo
    1991 Black German mini
    2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been watching a couple of forums lately. I've come to the conclusion that finding parts for a late model Mini is going to be much trickier than for an earlier model.
      Jim

Comment

That's not enough for your car. What other minis did they use as a basis for comparison? Tell the insurance company to stuff it. When my car was wrecked, I held out for decent dollars, and the insurance company finally sent an appraiser to look at the car (I'll see if I can find his card). Remember, your adjuster has a boss who will be pressuring him to close the deal. It now becomes a waiting game. Patience.

Comment

Plus $3000 for a buy back seems pretty outrageous. Go on ebay and the Mini Mania classifieds and get similar examples to show them.

Comment

The buy back for my mini was only $700. Mine is a 1991 completely stock.
            1971 mini Clubman Turbo
            1991 Black German mini
            2007 Jeep Wrangler

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Through Hagerty I had my car insured for a value of $12,000.00, that's my error. I'm not sure how they arrived at $3,000.00 salvage value, but I'm going to try to negotiate a better deal. Unfortunately they seem to have everything in their favor.
              I may have found a nice 69 Mini in Vancouver, BC that's listed for $9.900.00 Canadian. I found it on the Mini Mania for sale page. It seems too good to be true, but I may drive up and have a look if everything goes sour with Hagerty.
              My forst choice is still to fix mine, but I guess I need to look at options.
              Jim

Comment

1963 Mini

[ATTACH]397[/ATTACH]

Hey Jim, bad luck mate about the Insurance proceedings.
                I just had to have a look around the Mini mania site for deals, and it seems that there are none in the immediate area.
                This BRG 1963, is in Murphys , CA. The ad says it has newer 10" 008 Yoks, Cobra seats, a newer 1275 and is going for $12,000. However you go about it.....good luck.
                It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

more options......

[ATTACH]398[/ATTACH] $7236 + shipping

[ATTACH]399[/ATTACH] $5313 + shipping

[ATTACH]400[/ATTACH] $7500 + shipping

[ATTACH]401[/ATTACH] Can't remember the details, but white over red sure is stunning!

[ATTACH]402[/ATTACH] $6431 + shipping

Shipping to the West coast is about 2K.

Comment

Serious classic, put everyone to shame style.

Ok Jim, in the search for really cool Mini's I found a few real eye catchers but this somewhat non descript seeming 'S' model seems to ring my bell.

54k Mini.jpg

It's an original 1071 1964 'S' model going for a mere 33,540 pounds, or $54,000!

Comment

Carl,
                      I saw the one for sale in Murphy's, CA. How do know it's an "S"? I also was a bit concerned about the words "few defects in paint". Would they possibly be rust bubbles? Maybe I should call? Your other suggestions didn't come up on the forum that I can see, just the prices. The guy with the 69 in Vancouver is going to send me more pictures. So that makes two possibilities. I asked Hagerty about the salvage price for mine, but haven't gotten a reply back yet.
                      Jim

Comment

I have a friend in Snohomish who is considering selling his. He recently finished a complete restoration (rotisserie body work, etc.). I'll get more specifics if you are interested, but the basics are: RHD, nice 80's or 90's Cooper interior, and I believe a 1275. It is a 70's/90's I think. Let me know.

Alain

Comment

Thanks Alain, I'm still up in the air about what to do. I'm trying to negotiate a better deal from Hagerty. LOL Like I have any clout in the matter. I'm still trying to get used to the idea of letting my car go. Its funny how attached we get to our cars. Right now I'm most interested in what I can get for the little money I'll have if I give up my car. If your friend is serious about selling his, I'd be interested in finding out the specifics, although I still don't know for sure I'm in the buying mood yet.
                          Jim

Comment

Sounds good. I will get specifics from him and go take some pics this weekend and let you know just in case you are buying.

Alain

Comment

Nice looking 1973 Inno 1275 on craigs list for 11k ....maybe start fresh with something new
                              "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
                              ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
                              '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
                              '60 Morris Van - Marvan
                              '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Working...
                              X