Fresh find.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh find.

2011-10-30_17.38.32.jpg It's funny when one gets enlightened from another city, or state, that a treasure to be hold is to be found in you own back yard (basically).

Don (the MAN) Dixon E mailed me an ad from the Oregon Mini Club guys about a Mini in Belfair (where I live) about a 65'or 66' Countryman for sale. The car had chrome window latches, a magic wand, and a left side interior tank. It was a bit misinformed, and to be honest misleading (little rust....HA), but hey it's an old car ad (I'm going with a 1960 model).

It turns out that the owner had passed away, recently, and a friend was helping sell off all his old stuff, Austin 850 included. The car had been parked under "a cover" since 1988, the same year I moved to this area, so it may need a bit of refurbishing. I just wanted to post a picture or 2 of the possibilities of such a strange coincidence.
    It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

OK so it's missing a few parts.

2 more pictures of something your mother would NOT want in the driveway.

2011-10-30_17.38.18.jpg

2011-10-30_17.38.53.jpg
    Then the seller asks me where one would find a VIN number! Hahaha, they cut it off!! The motor numbers are still in tact.
    Note the "kinda" flat spots on the tyres.

Comment

Chains.

You can see in the pictures, the chains required to pull the wee car out from behind the 23 year old Cedar tree that grew around the car. Fun stuff.

Comment

Mmmm...imagine the possibilities...
        I like the chains and tire ruts...
        Tom
        My Mini is plastic.

Comment

I forgot to ask, how does it run?
          No more smart mouthed comments from me.
          I like it.
          My Mini is plastic.

Comment

that's awesome.

Full restoration, or ?

Comment

The car is most likely a 1961 since the fuel filler is on the left. It has the internal fuel tank rather than the later under floor tank. The Mini Traveller and Countryman Register currently has identified only 26 of these cars to date worldwide.

It looks like an original U.S. car since it has the red top tail light lenses. Truly rare.

Kelley
              If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Could be 60 or 61. Couldn't tell if the top lights were red, but if so, as Kelley says, it could be an original U.S. import. It could also be a Canadian import.
                The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

I guess the real question Carl, are you an owner?

Tim
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlemini/collections/

Comment

Owner...in sorts

All I got with the car was a bill of sale, thus the year ID issue.
                    The car was of course Tarten red.

Comment

You might check with DOL to see if there is a way you can trace the title from the license plate. If so, there is a chance that the Chassis Number (VIN) is correct on the title...which would allow a Heritage search for build information.
                      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

so, gunnar has some serious body work ahead of him? or are you gonna tackle that one? and am curious carl, where was my call to come help you haul it out. would love to drive over and see it in your garage one day.
                        Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Well I thought I would update the status on the countryman since it is in my garage now. I have been trading emails with the people at the countryman/traveler register and we are thinking this might be a 1960 model due to the '59 items I am finding on the car.

I have found the following which are on the '59 register.

round passenger door lock button.

Riveted Wheels.

Early master cylinder with removable nut.

Early seats that were bolted onto a welded mounting on the square cross member with tubular legs.

Other Items are the speedometer with thin red needle and no tenths, Flat switch panels with no indents for the choke and etc.

As of today I am repairing the wiring loom and I have the engine rotating with good compression. Hopefully by next month I will have some new metal for it.

Comment

What is the date code on the wiper motor?

Kelley
                            If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Hey Kelley,

The only numbers I found on the housing are:

FR2 BS1004A with a heart at the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X