The Chuckles and Baldrick Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chuckles and Baldrick Show

So, Chuck had a thread a little over a year ago about what happened at the shop. I thought that I would re-invigorate the topic and start a new thread. My plan is to post of pictures of what we are working on and maybe post a tid bit of what is happening. Oh, and as Chuck affectionately calls me... Baldrick... For those who don't know who Baldrick is...

Oh, and if we ever get any video up... You will probably hear 2 terms a decent amount, "I pulled a Ryan" and "No, your other left!."

This coming week should have the first installment.

Baldrick....

"I have a cunning plan."
    It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

That's the guy, 72. Back from the days when Atkinson played a good role instead of that horrible Mr. Bean thing he's best known for.
      It's so hard working in the garage with all these kids. The jokes just aren't funny when one has to explain them all the time.
      The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Today:

Sorry for the slight blur in the photos, the lens on my iphone camera was scratched.

We separated the old transmission from the engine, and then proceeded to tap and dye all of the mounting holes. We did this in order to prepare for mounting the freshly rebuilt trans that Chuck had put together a bit ago. Before putting on the rebuilt trans, we used permatex on the mating surfaces and gasket that goes between the the trans and the engine. We did a few other things, but their names escape me at this time.

Comment

Comment

We also were busy working most of the time, so my photos are very sporadic.

Comment

Prior to Baldrick's arrival, the primary gear was cleaned and its clearance was adjusted; the flywheel housing was fitted with a new idler gear bearing and first motion roller bearing race; the idler gear bearing clearance was set, nuts and bolts and lock tabs were scrounged up for fitting the flywheel housing.
              When B arrived I set him to lapping in the flywheel while I installed a new primary gear seal.
              After the gearbox to block holes were cleaned up with a 1/4 x 28 tap, the gearbox and block mating surfaces and the surface of the block where the main seal fits were cleaned. The main seal was fitted to the block with a dab of RTV and the gearbox, oil pickup O-ring was fitted to the gearbox/block mating surface using a small bit of light grease.
              While B was fitting the gaskets to the gearbox, I cleaned up all the gearbox to block bolts and nuts and made sure they all had good threads. A couple of missing nuts were replaced, then the block was carefully lowered onto the gearbox and bolted down.
              Today, Friday, without Baldrick's help (things will go much faster!) the clutch/flywheel assembly will be bench checked; the idler gear, primary gear and the flywheel housing will be installed followed by the clutch/flywheel assembly.
              If not today, by tomorrow, the engine will be ready to go back to Don's to finish up all the bolt on bits, and eventually, painting.

Comment

So do you want this thread for just mini stuff or do you guys want to see the 48 valve 312T Ferrari engine I'm rebuilding/ restoring? As far as mini stuff in my garage.....just cut and paste Chucks post LOL
                "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
                ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
                '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
                '60 Morris Van - Marvan
                '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

Start a thread and post it up, I would like to see it.

Comment

Today's fun: Mk2 Morris 850.

We checked the fluids, fixed the ground for the oil pressure gauge light, installed the seals between the windows to block out the wind, fitted the air filter housing, took dental tools to the wiper setup, and installed a new battery.

Comment

Chuck was trying to figure out what we had already done... Usually he takes good notes... I guess not this time.

Comment

Comment

Chuck,
                          Is this one of those 2 850's that have been around for a while? It's pretty nice looking car actually.
                          Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

One owner, Marisa, not a club member, owns two New Zealand 850s. Mk I and Mk II. Both are very standard, good examples of cars that escaped the boy racers, and were put in good shape about 2005, when I last worked on them. Then they sat until earlier this year. So, I'm redoing some of the work originally done on the Mk II and finishing up other projects that were on the To Do list.

Comment

yep. those are the ones i was thinking of.
                              Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Working...
                              X