Coil springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil springs

Did you ever wonder what it would take to break one of those stout coil springs that hold up the corners? Behold the power of the A-Series motor!

I still like my coil-spring suspension, by the way.

Dan
    Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Wow! Without seeing it up close the blackened area almost looks like the coil was cracked during the heat treating process, like when they quenched it. There may have been either sharp edges or surface crack when the coil was drawn through the dies. I would contact the manufacturer.

There isn't much of anything that you can do with any car driven on the street to make a coil spring break. Well maybe if you ran the Baja 1,000...
    Skip

Comment

Did I mention I was running the Baja 3 1/2 when this happened?

Yeah, the spring has been replaced and it'll probably be a warranty item.

Dan
      Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Unfortunatly this has been a problem in the past. I have seen several that have broken...just not enough coils to take the stress.. that one dose all the bending and ends up work hardening.
        I thought of this when I got mine...but thought i would take my chances
        Sorry Dan.
        "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
        ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
        '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
        '60 Morris Van - Marvan
        '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

The main reason the SRacer springs were breaking when they first came out was that the upper arm would drop down far enough in some situations so that the spring would come loose, twist sideways and then break when the arm came up again. The attempted fix was the use of much thicker upper arm rebound buffers to limit the drop of the upper arm.
          The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

Working...
          X