Panhard PL17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhard PL17

On the way to Vashon Island yesterday, I stopped by Griot's Garage to briefly check out the Caffeine and Gasoline get-together. The weather was great and the turnout was predictably heavy. Lots of muscle cars, a few very nice hot rods, Mercs, ***s, Porsches, a new Ford GT and a bug-eye Sprite. What I thought was the most interesting car was almost lost amid the Mustangs and Corvettes.

It's a late-50s/early 60s Panhard PL17.

Classic French eluglyance. All chrome eyebrows and wraparound bumpers. And surprisingly complete.

Two-cylinder and air-cooled, and my quickie Google search said it had torsion bars instead of coil springs closing the valves.

Unfortunately, I was in kind of a hurry and the owner wasn't around either of the times I stopped to gawk. I would have loved to talk about it.

There's hope yet for Caffeine and Gasoline.

Dan
    Last edited by BIGSHOT; 06-05-2011, 06:13 PM.
    Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Ummm............

I can't decide whether or not I like one of the oddest cars I ever seen on this site! Good pix Dan.
    It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

How would that go; Poleyvoooofrancia? I love the newly created word there, and must wholeheartedly agree with your combination of two such descriptive words, sir!
      This coming from a driver of a retina burning yellow clubman nosed van!
      Best regards,
      MSH

Oh, there you are inspector Clouseau!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mark; 06-06-2011, 10:17 AM. Reason: one of my few French References in the Mini World
      All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

Thanks for posting those shots Dan. Talk about juxtaposition.. parked between a mid 70's Nova and a Cobra..

I've never personally seen a Panhard in the flesh before and think how I'd describe it would be 'quirky-cool'.. with a big emphasis on the former. It makes a Mini look like a ToyHonNisSubishi in comparison.
        Last edited by Andrew.Bertschi; 06-15-2011, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Paint it green and you'd have "Big Mouth Billy Bass" on wheels! Kinda looks like the offspring of a Citron and a Volvo. The color doesn't do it justice! Almost looks like an air cooled VW could swap right in there... Then again what would you have faster ugly, oh yeah fugly that's it!!
          Skip

Comment

The Panhard is front-engined, right? I think that's the same engine that powers Don Racine's vintage sports racer.
            Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
            1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

Yep, front engine FWD.

Comment

Working...
              X