SAMOA hosting Mini Meet West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SAMOA hosting Mini Meet West

First of all I would like to apologize for comments made when the suggestion was brought up about SAMOA hosting Mini Meet West.

This is not the first time this topic has been brought up and I would like to open it up to the other club members for discussion.
    It's been 26 years since SAMOA has hosted a Mini Meet West!
    Give this some thought and we can either discuss it here on site or at the next meeting.

Tim
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seattlemini/collections/

Not to worry Tim. I'm sure, as chairman of the event, we will all give Tim Corbett our full support. I'm just not so sure about Corvallis as the location for the event.

All kidding aside, with such a great group of members, I have no doubt that SAMOA could put on a fine Mini Meet. We just need two things: a fearless leader and a site. And I think the hardest part just might be finding a site.

My 2 cents.
    Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
    1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

After having helped Tim and Chuck a LOT with the 40th, I agree that there needs to be someone with a bit of a passion to head it up, and a couple folks willing to take lots of orders and try to help distribute the work. If there isn't anyone here willing to take a SERIOUS lead, then we shouldn't really go forward.
      Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Mini Meet or Mini/MINI meet?

Same format as is the standard?
        The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

How about seeing if host hotel could be something like The Alderbrook on Hood Canal. Bremerton Raceway just up the road. Scenic drive/ralley could follow the penninsula run route, some forwards, some backwards and a meet in the middle for pick nic or eats.. Something like that would make things a little different even for the Seattleites. Just my two pence.
          Skip

Comment

Looks like a wonderful location and resort. Maybe not big enough, especially if the MINIs were a part of the deal. I've seen the place on past Hood Canal SAMOA tours but never stopped. Great idea Skip!
            Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
            1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

in order to keep it smaller/ more manageable,:
              allow only classic mini to participate/.

Comment

Sorry Peter,
                All the major Mini clubs on the West coast, other than us, allow Binis to join. We'd have to partner with PS minis, or their offspring, to do a MMW. Share the risk and the fun.

OH BEHAVE!
                Don

Comment

That IS a great idea Skip. We just need a grassy area for the show and shine. Any golf courses nearby? Carl's yard isn't quite large enough.

Twanoh State Park has a large picnic parking area but it's asphalt.

Don

Comment

if so and the binis are part of it, then they should be involved in the
                    - planning process- and headaches.
                    right now it sounds like it is a " samoa " event and the binis are
                    tagging along.

Comment

While SAMOA doesn't possess insurance to hold an auto cross... PSMINI might!
                      Worth checking into.
                      Tim

Comment

It's still early, I don't think PS MINI has even been approached.

Don

Comment

PSMINI has not been approached yet. This is just to see if anyone in this club has an interest.

Tim

Comment

Parks and the like....

Don, you beat me to the idea of the local State park, they also have a fair size camp ground for those that feel that way inclined. In so far a picture opportunity....we could get a hold of the Public Utility People and park in front of the largest building in Mason County, it just happens to be the hydro plant. Yes it would be on tarmac, but the building would make a cool back drop. Or, we could all take a spin up to Lake Cushman, there is a good size state park up there with a fantastic view of Cushman and the Olympics in the background. I am very biased to this location for some reason, good idea Skip!
                            It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

The Parking Lot at The Alderbrook Inn might be large enough to hold a bunch of Mini / MINI's I believe they have two, an upper and lower. One time when Robin and I were out there they had a Puget Sound Ford Club event out there there were easily several hundred classic Ford's in the lower parking area. They even had them along the front drive and enterance. They let us park our Mini down in the back of the Fords lots of them liked the little car!
                              http://alderbrookresort.com/

Bill Gates vacation house is just next door to the Alderbrook behind the high walls, north side of resort. The Gates' paid to have SR 106 and the water wheel moved to their present locations when they bought their place.

There are also state parks on either side of the Alderbrook. The idea of using the parks for those who would want to camp is a good one, there are several B&B's near there so that is another option for those who might not want to stay at the host hotel or camp.

Twanoh State Park (Belfair side of SR 106)
                              http://www.explorehoodcanal.com/twanoh-state-park.html

Potlatch State Park (Hoodsport Side US 101)
                              http://www.stateparks.com/potlatch.html

Either park within half hour to forty-five minutes of Alderbrook.

Alderbrook also has its own golf course for those so inclined.

On insurance for auto-x, might have to check with Bremerton Sports Car Club. Their club is the one who hosts auto cross at Bremerton Raceway. Everytime I've been out there they have made you sign a hold harmless waiver. Not sure about the insurance for that. Chuck might have a little better Idea as he has solo'ed out there more recently than I have.
                              http://bscc.net/

Even if we don't do a Mini Meet it would be a great club getaway for a weekend of Penninsula Mini'ing.
                              Skip

Comment

Working...
                              X