Parking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parking

Work has been taking me to the Husky Union Building at U-Dub lately. There's this one parking spot that's always open. I wonder why.

Don

Nice!

Comment

Just don't go drinking and then try to back out of that spot. Uh, not that I'm speaking from experience or anything...

Comment

Mr. M,
        So that's why Gunnar had to paint your car!

Comment

Looks like the parking is much better than where I went to college. I remember there were two guys with Mini's who would back them into one parallel parking spot. Don't ever remember them ever getting ticket for parking like that either!
          Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Dixminion View Post
            Mr. M,
            So that's why Gunnar had to paint your car!
            I actually did that repair myself. The parking pillar did a number on my left front fender. Bashed in the fender about 6 inches centered with the wheel. I picked up my pieces of broken flare, through them in the back seat, drove home with the whine of my tire rubbing on the front fender. Tahiti Blue is not an easy color to match. I finally contacted the guy in the UK who restored it to find the type of paint he used. Bought the correct hardner and reducer and used the paint he included with the car in a mayonnaise jar.

The previous owners of my 66 did much much worse. If I didn't hire Gunnar for that car, it would turn into another abandoned Mini project.

Comment

It's great owning a Mini!!
              It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

Jeez. I don't even remember the HUB having parking when I was at the U. But then the streets weren't paved, yet, either.
                The HUB did teach me two things though. Taught me to play pool, and taught me that no matter how good I was at table tennis in my neighborhood, I wasn't even in the same universe as some of those playing at the HUB. OK. Three things. Don't bet on pool or table tennis games.
                The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

This would be the N18-21 lot, just up from U-Village. You have to take the (horse drawn, back then) escalators up to the main campus level to find the HUB.

Don

Comment

As a side note, SAMOA owes its existence to the parking at the UW in the early 60s. There wasn't any. Ray Honsberger, Del Gould and another student at the time (can't remember his name) purchased "demonstrator" Mini 850s from British Motor Car Distributors in Seattle thinking they'd be more likely able to find a small spot to park them since there weren't any parking lots in those days. It wasn't long before they decided it would be cool to start a Mini club and call it SAMOA. The price of the Minis? $850 each.
                    Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
                    1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

Working...
                    X