No announcement yet.

MORE Registration questions!! CAR SOLD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MORE Registration questions!! CAR SOLD!

Hi all!

It was great to meet you all on Saturday at the meeting. My husband, daughter and I all had a great time!

So, drum roll...I have found a buyer for my Mini! But here is the catch...the Mini is still not registered (as discussed in the meeting). I hate to go pay to get it registered in my name and then have the buyer have to go and pay AGAIN to have it registered in HIS name.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can just have the buyer register the car? The title from Massachusetts only has one slot for a "for sale by owner". The rest of the slots on the title are for re-assignment by a licensed dealer only.

Any help would be great as the buyer wants to take possession of the car ASAP.

Thanks so much!
    Erica

I recently bought my mini in much the same fashion - it was registered in Utah, but the guy I bought it from in WA never had it registered in his name. I just took in the original Utah title, which the original owner had signed over to the new owner and a bill of sale from the most recent owner, stating that I had purchased it from him, to the DMV and got everything sorted out.

They guy I had bought the car from had printed out a bill of sale form from a website (possibly a DMV website) and then just filled in the info, but I think a handwritten bill of sale would also work, provided the information is very thorough (VIN, buyer & seller name/address/phone, purchase date, price, etc...)

It wasn't the easiest process - it did feel a bit like the old "who's on first" routine while trying to explain it all to the lady at the DMV, but it wasn't too bad and only took about a 1/2 hour or so.

If you're still having questions, call the DMV and ask them specifically what they would require. I hope this helps...

Comment

Dufra...

Thanks for that info! What DMV or WA licensing office did you go to? I have been told by some members that the Bel-Red Licensing office in Bellevue is very good. I am wondering if I can just go there with the new buyer and hand them the title with my name on it, the "bill of sale" that I create and then the new buyer can just register it himself.

Did you have to go to the licensing office with the seller?

I am hoping this works out and there wont be any raised eyebrows or confusion!!!

Thanks again...Erica

Comment

Going to the registration station with the purchaser has worked for me in the past. I think it reassures the clerk that there is no funny business going on. Of course, I only go to Ballard Auto/Vessel Licensing.

Cheers,

Kelley
        If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

wish that place wasn't so far from tacoma, but next time i have to use one ballard will be it, and then we can hit that mexican place near your house kelly!
          Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I do believe that Dave is proposing a SAMOA get together at a Mexican joint out north of Ballard someplace! All we need now is an address, date and time. See how easy this is? Don

Comment

If it's Burrito Loco I'm there.
              Ed

1972 Austin 1300GT - Mean Mr. Mustard
              1963 Riley Elf MkII - Baba O

Comment

i never realized my potential until now. thanks don!
                Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Dave may be thinking of Luisa's, which was the last place we went, across Holman Rd. from QFC. Burrito Loco is good too, just different, it's across Holman Rd. from Dick's.

Cheers,

Kelley
                  If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

Top of the hill, Bottom of the hill. Is there a difference beyond that/

Comment

Working...
                    X