No announcement yet.

Chuck's Work Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over the three day weekend, the Tartan went home and promptly blew the wiper fuse during the rainy jouney...but the oil leak has stopped!

The power unit for the Mk II S is back together and reinstalled; except, the exhaust and carbs.

6/1+: Get one of the exhaust pipes to a shop to have it expanded slightly to take out the groove from a previous clamp, then rehang the exhaust so it isn't bumping on seat belt mounting bolts and the subframe, as well as taking the tension off of the two rear mounts.

Continue digging on the magic shelves for parts to complete the set of dual HS2s that go on the car. There were lots of pieces missing. Looks like I should have everything needed, now.

The replacement heat shield has been modified to clear the tappet cover breather. Like lots of replacement parts, it is not the same as the original and whoever designed it made it slightly wider, not taking into account the breather.

It looks like both recent suspension rebuilds will finally get to Group 2. Steve's white over red estate is tentatively scheduled for Friday. More details as they finalize.

So far, only one taker in the "garage apprentice" program. I think Bill learned a lot about Minis, and he was a big help, too!
    The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

I learned a lot and had fun doing it! Thanks Chuck!

Comment

The exhausting job is done and the system sits higher, doesn't rub on the seat belt tunnel bolt, doesn't bang on the rear subframe, and it doesn't rub on the hand brake cable any longer. Wonder if it will leak?

The carbs turned into a bit bigger job than anticipated because of all the missing parts, but they are back together and will be installed tomorrow (6/3).

Next is to sort out a heater hose, get the car on the ground and fire it up to do some tuning.

There's now a 67 S sitting in the driveway. Overheating problem (and a hand brake that doesn't work very well).

And soon to come should be Dan's pickup. Engine out and gearbox off so that the stripped sump plug can be fixed. Needs motor mounts, too.

Anyone have any interest in observing or getting dirty, let me know.

Comment

Short notice: Friday 6/4, 11:00 am, Steve Hutchens' white over red estate will be on the lift at Group 2 having a full suspension alignment. Take an early and long lunch and drop by to see how it's done.

Comment

Late breaking news: Dan's world famous, red, pickup will be in my garage Saturday morning at 9.
            Engine out.
            Clutch/flywheel assembly off.
            Engine and gearbox separated.
            You'll want to attend so you can say you were there!

Comment

Thanks for letting us come check out the pickup!

Comment

This is what there was to check out. Not a lot of drama getting stuff apart. The engine came out without a lot of scratching and spitting; the tranny fell off the block; the flywheel pretty much popped right off.

Dan
                Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

P.S. This is kinda what it looks like when we make the jump to light speed.

Dan

Edit: Here's an actual photo of the jump to light speed.

Last edited by BIGSHOT; 06-06-2010, 06:16 PM.
                  Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

Here's what's happening probably Monday the 7th through Sunday the 12th (less Saturday -- club meeting, don't cha know).

'67 Mk I Cooper S:
                    All new radiator and heater hoses.
                    Check out rear brakes and fix, as necessary.

67 Mk II Cooper S:
                    The engine is back in, hooked up, and test started. Need to tune; especially, the newly rebuilt dual SU carb set up.

The Intergalactically Famous Red Pickup:
                    Install a center oil pickup in the gearbox.
                    Replace worn clutch parts
                    Reassemble the power unit and install it.

Work hours M - F: about 1:00 to 5:00; Sunday, 10:30 - 5:00.

Comment

Sunday, June 20. Help Dan finish up his pickup. A few items left in the engine compartment, and the exhaust needs to be hung and the front hubs reconnected at the top ball joint (and the inner pot joints reassembled). Wheels and tires on. Truck on the ground. Fire it up!

Todd's Mk I Cooper S. Install a clutch side engine steady from the gearbox casing rearwards to the subframe. Check out a possibly worn shift lever.

Monday, June 21. Finish up anything left over from Sunday. Do some fine tuning on Marc Pond's Mk II Cooper S. Dual carb's aren't quite right, yet.

Tuesday, June 22. Finish up anything left over from Monday. Start work on a number of items on Carlos' Mk II Cooper S. (I have to review the list.)

Come by to watch or get your hands dirty.

Comment

Sat, 26 (if for some strange reason you're not going to Greenwood) and Sun 28: Starting work on another Mk II Cooper S. Nothing big, but Carlos left me a laundry list; including, tracking down a fuel leak and an engine squeal.

Comment

The latest plans. Over the three day weekend.
                          Solenoid change on a Mk II Cooper S
                          Basic service on the Clubman Estate. Check out and lube suspension. Fluid level and tire check. Full tune up: compression check, valves set, new ignition parts installed, timing set, carb tweaked, if necessary.
                          If you can't make the Historics, come play Mini mechanic.

Comment

Haven't been able to make it to one yet, but anymore updates to this?

Comment

Tomorrow Friday, 7/16, finish up a front brake hose change on a Mk II S with fingers crossed that the change solves a poor braking issue. The drop the remote shift out of the same car and attempt to solve the shift lever rattle problem.

Saturday. No work. Meeting and BBQ at Steve's

Sunday. Can start the Clubman Estate tune up that was postponed while I got the South African Estate out of "mothballs," checked it out and made some repairs and changes.

Next week is an undefined clutch job. Haven't checked the car out, yet. (Owner couldn't find the keys.) May be something simple like a slave change, or it could be major like a complete overhaul.

Comment

I have a VW show to go to on Sunday! Still hoping to make it one of these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X