your first car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your first car

So, what was your first? Loved it or hated it? Anything that made it "special" (besides the driver)? Got any pictures?
    Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

1965 Corvair Monza rag top. loved it...most of the time. Special???....only if you count 165lbs of dead weight in the front to keep the nose from getting light on the freeway LOL.
    "remember, in this country, they drive on the wrong side of the road"
    ‘64 Austin Countryman-???
    '60's Austin mini truck - the chicken truck
    '60 Morris Van - Marvan
    '55 Chevy wagon- the heavy Chevy

Comment

1965 GTO Copper color (can't remember the name), Absolutely hated the White Interior. Was a former drag race car in stock classes. By the time I got it the 389 Tri-Power had been punched sixty over, you had to be careful cruising as it got hot quick. 389 seized, found a 421 Super Duty with two four barrels which drank .38 cent Chevron Supreme like crazy. Ended up getting a '57 Baby Blue VW Convertible as a daily driver. That was a great comparison in contrast. 36 HP VW Vs Pontiac 421! For some odd reason I remember my Dad wasn't too impressed with the long parallel black marks which appeared on the road in front of our house with great regularity!
      Skip

Comment

Baby Blue '81 Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel....its was special in a lot of ways, no heater, no radio, wrong transmission - 1st gear was hidden, only those "in the know" could find it. That being said, it averaged about 55 mpg, and had a lot of character.

Comment

Mini, of course. 62 with an MG1100 power unit...still with the 4.13:1 final drive. Very fast to 50!
          First Mini of club founder Del Gould. He bought it 2nd hand from BMCD for the easy to remember price of $850 around 1964. It wasn't long before the car was autocrossing.
          Last edited by Cheleker; 04-29-2010, 11:13 AM. Reason: To change mistyped 1984 to 1964!
          The more I know about Minis, the more I know I don't know about Minis.

Comment

1968 Volkswagen Beatle 1.2 Ltr 34 HP "standard" non Export
            all in white and bought new from the Dealer in Hamburg
            I drove it until 1982
            Nice simple car lots of room, hardly any Heat!!!!( wintertime)
            I used to use it for our Music Band to travel 3 guys 2 guitars 1 upright Bass
            and Equipment, lots of fun.
            Peter

Comment

1963 VW Beetle, black and had an engine but I'm not sure I ever looked at it. I used to carry an upright bass, electric bass, two Silvertone 6-10 speaker cabinets, a Vox AC-50 amp and my laundry.

Kelley
              If you can afford the car, you can afford the manual...

Comment

i guess i didn't put mine up yet. 1966 Mustang coupe, 289, auto, sky blue (looked good when i bought it) with a black vinyl top. loved that car to death. would probably be driving it still if it hadn't been sold out from under me while i was away at college for a house payment. lucky me: i got a 72 pinto station wagon in return.
                Bother free is the way to be- Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Between my freshman and sophomore years in college I paid fifty bucks for a ’53 Chevy two-door. It had the 216 c.i. six and a three-speed column shift. It was strong and dependable — right up to the point where the motor blew up on one of the new-fangled freeways around here. I tried to rebuild that engine — babbitt bearings and all — but I was a crappy mechanic and the car never ran right after that. I replaced it with an exotic foreign car, a ’57 VW that cost me the outrageous sum of $400. Thirty-six horsepower and a quart of bulk oil every few hundred miles, but I could fill the gas tank for $2.50 and it got me back and forth across the state numerous times. And it was a real snowmobile in Pullman.

Dan
                  Dan

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

Comment

First car (I inherited) - 1988 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible. Turbo didn't work (think horrible turbo lag at all engine speeds), Roof leaked like crazy, 3 speed automatic. Still - to be a college student with a convertible was awesome during the summer months and the heater worked really well during those cold MN winters. It never carried any musical instruments, but I did use it to move a few times. With the top down it once carried 2 mattresses a Lazy-boy and several large boxes at once (after I had removed the passenger seat). I'm just lucky I wasn't spotted by any cops.

First car (I purchased with my own money) - My 1989 998! Definitely have a love-hate relationship while working on it, but love it otherwise.
                    Last edited by 4BritishEyesOnly; 04-30-2010, 11:09 AM.
                    British eyes... only

Comment

Datsoon!

$900 bought me a fine 1970 Datsun 510, in lovely metallic dark brown. It even had a Hood scoop thingy for no reason, the motor was a stock 1300 Datsun wonder. It died within 6 months of me owning it, after going through one alternator, one screw down the carb, a lost set of keys, and one trip to a small ditch. The Datsun was sold to a scrap company for $400, just enough to buy a scooter in the early eighties! Something to be said for the license plate Numbers.....Bond, James Bond..............Would never drive one of these!!
                      IFP 007.jpg
                      It's all part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

1971 VW Beetle - loved it - trashed it - learned body work on it - rebuilt the engine once. Learned to drive in the snow with it. It was airborne almost every day (nice ramp over some railroad tracks). Ripped a fender off in a pasture in Nebaska. Used it as a sled in a ditch filled with snow. After a hard rain on an open field of grass one night, I could start the car in 3rd gear with the rear wheels spinning, get up to about 40 mph - crank the wheels and do several 360s. I think it was $950 when I bought it in 1983. Nice memories...

Comment

The first complete, running car I ownwd was a 1971 Vega. I got it in the summer of 1979, paddled around for a while before collecting bits for a V8 conversion. College interupted those plans, but the engine paid a hefty chunk of my first semester tuition. The car later paid for some silly building fee.
                          Tom
                          My Mini is plastic.

Comment

In 1962 my dad gave me his old car, a 1959 Dodge four door sedan with push button automatic trans, a 270 c.i. v8 and great big fins. In 1965 i traded it in for a new yellow Dodge Dart GT that was much more cool.
                            Dale

Comment

Sprite

The first car was a red 68 Sprite Mk4 (1275 of course) when I was 15, bought for $500. Learned quickly how to pull the motor and the fun and joy of owning British. Never really learned my lesson from that but it sure was fun to drive. It wasn't long before 2 friends in high school also had red sprites and we started terroizing the neighborhoods and backroads.

Comment

Working...
                              X