Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spaceman
    replied
    I need a windshield too, for a 69 what are people charging?

Leave a comment:

• innochadi
    replied
    Peter, I appreciate you taking a look at your glass. It sure is tempting being that it's original Inno glass, but I think I'd like to go with laminated glass this time around.

Dan, you have a PM.

Leave a comment:

• Peter J Larsen
    replied
    checked the the 2 glasses,
    borth have on layer of glass , so tempered.

peter

Leave a comment:

• BIGSHOT
    replied
    This is what happens when a rock hits a tempered glass windscreen.

In pre-seatbelt days, you'd rather kiss this than the laminated glass, because the plastic in the latter tends to hold and slice whatever slams into it during instant deceleration.

Peter, you can identify a laminated windscreen by looking at the edge. If it's obviously two layers of glass, that's laminated.

Chad, the laminated windscreen I have was originally in my pickup. It needs a good cleaning, but there don't appear to be any serious scratches. It isn't tinted.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Peter J Larsen
    replied
    both of mine said
    Securit and no. ##
    I think they are original from the Inno factory.
    but how can you tell it s
    tempered or laminated??
    peter

Leave a comment:

• innochadi
    replied
    Makes sense, Kelley. Thanks for the explanation. Do you know if all Mini windshields (including Innos) used laminated glass?

Leave a comment:

• mascher
    replied
    The vast majority of windshields sold in the U.S. are laminated glass. It is two sheets of glass with a plastic layer in between. It is very hard for anything to break through laminated glass and when it breaks the shards tend to stay attached to the plastic.

Tempered glass is often used in other windows of the car. When it breaks it crazes and shatters into small pieces that are rounded, they are still have sharp edges though. If tempered glass is damaged in any way there is a very good chance that the entire piece will break. When something hits and damages a tempered windshield it will either disintegrate sending the pieces into the occupants faces or it will craze leaving you unable to see through the windshield.

Use a laminated windshield.

Kelley

Leave a comment:

• innochadi
    replied
    Peter, I wasn't aware there was a difference (tempered vs. not?) in Mini windscreen glass over the years. Good to know. Do you know if the glass you have is tempered?

Dan, keep me posted on the condition of your glass, too.

Thanks, guys, for seeing what you have in your parts collections. We'll be in touch!

Leave a comment:

• James T
    replied
    Peter, the rear (two different sizes also) glass is completely different than the front. But the front glass is the same size for all the years.

Leave a comment:

• Peter J Larsen
    replied
    I have 2
    by the way is the front the same as the rear.??
    1. it said securit 1 Bs 1 tinteo this one is slightly tinted
    2. no writing on that one same size.

peter

Leave a comment:

• BIGSHOT
    replied
    The possibly cheaper -- and lots more fun -- option is driving down to Seven, having them install a new screen, and ripping up the pavement all the way back.

I have a windscreen in my garage, Chad, but I'll have to take a look to see what condition it's in. I'll do that tonight.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Peter J Larsen
    replied
    I might have an
    original . Inno 1974 front windshield, I don t know if it s the newer or
    older version ( breakable or...) will check the the reading on it.
    peter

Leave a comment:

• innochadi
    started a topic Windshield needed

Windshield needed

Looking for a windshield, as mine now has a big rock chip in it thanks to our fine Seattle roads.

Alternatively, if no one has a spare windshield laying around, does anyone know of a local auto glass company that can acquire a Mini windshield for me? Looking to see if there are cheaper options than shipping one up from Mini Mania/Seven/Heritage.
Working...
X