Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FS: Moke, Van, and a Cooperized saloon

Hi All,
    No time to post right now, but I've been reminded by Don Heintze's family that these three cars are for sale. I'll be posting more information within the next couple of weeks, but wanted to give you board members a first crack if you are interested.

Best regards,
    MSH
    All Together Now..... Everybody.......

f/u "new" van

hi,
    decided to buy don henze's blue van this weekend and add a second mini to my garage :-)

looks to be in good mechanical condition and pretty dry shell, but the paint is down right hideous (to my eye). it is a metallic blue with glitter embedded in it- feels like 60 grit sandpaper over every surface including the window seals.

does anyone know any history of don henze and his cars, esp the van?

a couple short term issues:

1. need some new tires. current 145SR10 look quite old and cracked, but holding air. Dont look very safe. Is there a good place in seattle to buy new ones and/or get them mounted, or do i have to go online? For time being think I want to keep steel wheels until have better idea of where resto will go.

2. anyone have a van seat to sell or worked out plans to fabricate one?

3. in longer term, any thoughts on how to remove glitter paint??

thanks

cliff
    -cliff

Seattle WA 98103

1967 Austin Cooper S
    1967 Morris Mini Disco-Van
    1972 2002 Tii "LIMONE"
    2012 BINI Countryman S All4

2013 Ducati Multistrada S
    1967 Triumph Bonneville
    1981 R80 G/S PD

Comment

Hi Cliff,
      I'm really glad you picked up the van! Way to go!

Re: History of Don and his cars, I know that Tom ( Pigpen on here ) was friends with Don, and spent time in his shop in the old days. For more recent history, see Chuck and Kelley as they were both instrumental in getting those cars and parts out into the light of day after Don's passing. ( He'll be sorely missed! )

# 1. Check with Group 2 Motorsports, near Fisherman's Terminal area of interbay/ballard. Also, consider shipping in from Tire rack or other mailorder.

#2. There has been recent threads on the MM msg board about creating your own back seat. Log in, do the Detailed Search, and try a few. The one thread I remember specifically had one gent making his own by cutting his load bed and fabricating one that is similar in structure to the wagon one.

#3. I still have an abrasion from that paint!! One way might be to have it first chemical stripped for the main glitter chunks, then soda blasted. ( some disassembly required, batteries not included, etc. etc. ) p.s. I've heard a lot of evil things said about the chemical strippers, so get a second opinion on it "coming out" of the welded seams after it has been resprayed.

Really glad you've kept that piece of NW history in the NW. Good luck, and,
      Best regards,
      MSH
      All Together Now..... Everybody.......

Comment

Hi Cliff,
        When I pull myself out of hibernation I can share some interesting tidbits with you.
        Tom
        My Mini is plastic.

Comment

The weather is supposed to warm up soon, but certainly doesnt look like it today.... looking forward to learning something. thanks!
          -cliff

Seattle WA 98103

1967 Austin Cooper S
          1967 Morris Mini Disco-Van
          1972 2002 Tii "LIMONE"
          2012 BINI Countryman S All4

2013 Ducati Multistrada S
          1967 Triumph Bonneville
          1981 R80 G/S PD

Comment

Working...
          X